Street drugs are a big factor in causing erectile dysfunction or impotence. Like alcohol, users may be convinced that it helps or increases the enjoyment of sexual intercourse, but in reality impairs sexual effectiveness. Street drugs that can cause erectile dysfunction have three main categories:
1. Depressants – slow down the activity in all parts of the central nervous system.
· Heroin – smack, mud, horse, junk
· opium derivatives – scag, hammer
· cannabis – marijuana, weed, herb, joint, stick, dope
· GHB or gamma hydroxy butyrate – scoop, water, everclear
2. Stimulants – stimulate the central nervous system.
· Amphetamines – speed, up, fast, whiz, uppers
· Methylamphetamines – crystal, meth, ice
· Cocaine – coke, flake, snow, crack, rock, snuff
3. Hallucinogens – alter perception of reality which may result in hallucinations.
· Lysergic acid diethylamide – LSD, acid, trips
· Methylenedioxymethamphetamine- MDMA, ecstasy, eccy, pingers
· Phencyclidine – PCP, angel dust
· Magic mushrooms – gold tops, blue meanies
STREET DRUGS AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
How do street drugs effect your erection?
Opiates like heroin and methadone and the like are hard on male erectile strength. These drugs are erection killers because it dulls the sexual urge and lowers ejaculatory volume.
Cocaine is a vasoconstrictor, it causes blood vessels to constrict. However in order for erection to occur the blood vessels to the penis need to be dilated. Also cocaine accelerates the aging process of the arteries, leading to plaques and calcification.
Amphetamines and Methylamphetamines accelerates the aging of the arterial and vascular walls with plaques quickly leading to endothelial dysfunction.
Marijuana lower testosterone levels and leutenizing and follicle stimulating hormone. It would take at least 24 hours for testosterone levels to normalize after marijuana use. Also chronic marijuana use leads to gynecomastia or male boobs.
Hallucinogens like magic mushrooms contain psilocybin and/or psilocin that destroy the serotonin nervous system. Some of the major side effects include decreased sex drive, impotence, bad choices around tattoo designs or difficulties having an orgasm.
These drugs affect and suppress the central nervous system, but can also cause serious damage to the blood vessels, resulting in permanent erectile dysfunction.
ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION TREATMENTS
Erectile dysfunction can be treated at any age. Treatment depends on what causes the problem. Don’t be embarrassed to discuss sexual problem with your doctor.
You can also take these steps to decrease the likelihood of occurrences:
· Stop using street drugs
· Exercise regularly.
· Maintain a healthy weight
· Get enough sleep.
· Avoid alcohol use.
· Reduce stress.
· Take medications as they are prescribed.
· Get help for anxiety or depression.
· Work with your doctor to manage conditions that can lead to erectile dysfunction, such as diabetes and heart disease.
Oral medications – the most common medications for treating erectile dysfunctions are Viagra (Sildenafil) Levitra ((Vardenafil) and Cialis (Tadalafil) they only work if the man is sexually stimulated. Only take these oral medications after discussing with your doctor.
Psychotherapy and counseling – can be beneficial if a man loses sexual confidence. It can also help if one of the underlying causes of erectile dysfunction is psychological.
Vacuum pumps – is a pump placed over the penis to create blood flow. It draws blood into specific tissues of the penis, mimicking a normal erection.
Injection or pellets – a synthetic hormone called alprostadil improve blood flow to the penis. It can either be injected into the penis (intracavernosal injection), or a pellet is placed inside the urethra.
TRT testosterone replacement therapy – for men whose levels of testosterone are low.
Penile Implant – a device that is surgically implanted within the erection chambers of the penis. It can enable erections through a mechanism of squeezing on a specific part of the device.
Vascular Surgery – targets the veins and arteries that supply blood to the penis. This Surgery may help men who have vascular damage due to trauma, after a car accident or fall.